Wednesday, April 28, 2010

VFW, Ishpeming, MI


VFW Post 4573
310 Bank Street
Ishpeming, MI 49849
(906) 486-4856

The VFW Post in Ishpeming isn't a typical restaurant. They don't have food every day. Instead, on Friday, they have a fish fry that is liked by the locals. My dad really liked it, too. He said the fish was really tasty and the price was really good. I don't eat fish, so I'll take his word for it.

The chicken wings, listed as wing dings on the kid's menu, weren't my favorite. They're breaded, which I have mentioned before isn't my favorite, but the taste just wasn't right. My dad guessed that they probably cook the chicken in the same oil as the fish, so that what was probably throwing it off.

At first, I have to admit, I really liked them. They were plump and juicy. But I was really hungry, too. Dad was practically starving me as he made up his mind where he wanted to eat. After a few bites, though, I just didn't like the taste. I guess that's good though, because I only got three wings. I normally eat six.

I probably won't be going back and, if I do, I definitely won't be ordering the wing dings. There is no sauce, other than ranch dressing, to even cover the flavor. I guess I should start bringing my Frank's Red Hot with me.

If you like fish fry, though, my dad says you can't go wrong. Cod, perch, white fish and salmon. Big portions, too.

But wings? Not so much.

FINAL RATING: 4-out-of-10

2 comments:

  1. Sorry the wings didn't turn out so good. Sometimes it is good to bring your own hot sauce though. Keep up the great work and good luck on your own wing quest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ick....fish and wings in the same oil. Yeah, that's a recipe for disaster. Good call on your part.

    ReplyDelete

Followers